Tren de Fresa Madrid Aranjuez
The Strawberry Train
This spring Madrid has prepared an amazing experinece: the Strawberry Train does the same Madrid-Aranjuez route that it has been doing since 1984. Aranjuez, a UNESCO heritage site located a short train ride from the Spanish capital, is famous for its delicious strawberries. If you are visiting Madrid, get the most unique experience with BE Apartment in the best luxury apartments in Madrid and other famous cities, for your security, pleasure and comfort.
In 1851, Isabella II opened Madrid’s first railway line, the second one in Spain, to connect the Royal Palace in Aranjuez with the capital. This route, which was originally meant to join Madrid with the Mediterranean coast, ended at Aranjuez station, but was eventually extended to reach the Palace, to serve the Royal Family. Since 1984, Tren de Fresa or the Strawberry Train has paid tribute to this revolutionary invention, which symbolises the arrival of industrialisation in our country. The route got this peculiar name due to the tradition to give strawberries to the passangers for degustation!
The Strawberry Train is a real antique train, pulled by a historical engine from the 1970s which belongs to the Railway Museum. It also features a 2nd class carriage belonging to the first series of coaches built between 1947 and 1953. The rest of the train is made up of four wooden carriages built between 1914 and 1930, in addition to a van and a 1960s wagon.
Once in Aranjuez, depending on the chosen route, you can explore the Royal Palace, located between the Tajo River surrounded by beautiful gardens (Parterre, Prince’s Garden and the Island Garden), or the Falúas Museum where you can see the royal boats that made up the Tajo Fleet in the 17th century. You can also have a trip along the Tajo river aboard the Aranjuez Tourist Boat (45 minutes, drink included), ride the Chiquitrén tourist train for children or go on a route especially designed for wine lovers, including a visit to a winery and a sampling.
There are 5 types of routes of the Strawberry Train:
- ROUTE 1 – Natural Strawberries: 2 way journey on the Strawberry Train, free visit of Aranjuez (Prices: Adults €23 / Children €10)
- ROUTE 2 – Strawberries and Cream: Strawberry Train + kids train + Guided walking tour of the Parterre Garden and the Island Garden (Prices: Adults €26 / Children €17)
- ROUTE 3 – Strawberries from the Tajo: Strawberry Train + Guided tour of the outside of the Royal Palace and the Prince’s Garden, Parterre Garden and King’s Garden + boat trip on tourist boat (Prices: Adults €30 / Children €19)
- ROUTE 4 – Royal Strawberries: Strawberry Train + return journey by bus from the train station to the monumental area + Guided tour of the Royal Palace + Visit to the Falúas Museum and the Prince’s Garden (Prices: Adults €30 / Children €19)
- ROUTE 5 – Strawberries and Wine: Strawberry Train + Visit to the winery of the Royal Court built by Carlos III in 1782 and tasting of two wines + Visit to the bullring built by Carlos III in 1797 (Prices: Adults €40 / Children €22)
The dates and the schedule is as following:
- April: 28, 29
- May: 5, 6, 12, 13, 19*, 20, 26, 27
- June: 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, 24, 30
- September: 22, 23, 29, 30
- October: 6, 7, 13, 14, 20, 21
- Departure from Madrid Príncipe Pío: 9.50 am / Arrival at Aranjuez Station: 10.44 am.
- Departure from Aranjuez Station: 6.55 pm / Arrival at Madrid Príncipe Pío: 7.48 pm.