Archivo de las Indias Sevilla
The Archive of the Indies
El Archivo General de las Indias (the General Archive of the Indies) in Sevilla is one of the most emblematic buildings in the city that attracks thousands of visitors, it´s a reminder of its glorious history and an absolute reference in the study of Spanish presence in America. For an amazing stay in Sevilla we offer you the most elegant Luxury Apartments that we have distributed throughout the city so you can enjoy comfort, design and security that BE APARTMENT provides you.
Here are some curious facts about this famous building:
1. The headquarters of the Archivo de las Indias is the Casa Lonja de Mercaderes de Sevilla and its architect is Juan de Herrera, responsible for the projects such as the Monastery of San Lorenzo del Escorial. Before the construction of the building, the merchants carried out their business outside of the Cathedral and when it rained they were sheltered there.
2. The Archivo de las Indias was created for 2 reasons: the absence of space in the General Archive of Simancas, the central archive, and the intention to create an adequate documentation on the history of Spanish colonization.
3. In the Archivo de las Indias can be found are around 43,000 files and sets of documents, 80 million pages and 8000 maps! If you put them together on a shelf in a line, there will be 9 km of documents!
4. It is called Archivo de las Indias because Christopher Columbus was convinced that he was going to "the Indies" when he left for America in 1942.
5. Nowadays Archivo de las Indias is the largest archive on Spanish history, as well as on ex colonies in America and the Philippines. It keeps unique documents with the signature of great historical figures such as Cristóbal Colón, Hernán Cortes or Francisco Pizarro.
Take a tour to the permanent exhibition of Archivo de las Indias to discover its functioning and get to see its magnificent architecture! The schedule is from Monday to Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Sundays and holidays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., the admission is free. If you´ve decided to spend few days in the city you can always stay in our Luxury Apartments by BE APARTMENT in the centre of Sevilla, the best in the city.